Monday, February 25, 2008

i hope to post something tomorrow...

...I feel like I've been either preoccupied or slacking or both.

In the past month, I've heard two very painful stories on the news about children who have died at the hands of their own parents. Really too painful to recount. Both stories make my heart ache...partly because children unconditionally trust parents to keep them safe from harm, and partly because these children will never have a chance to grow up and find out there's a better life outside their own dark circumstances.

Today I felt like a quote (from Mitch Albom's, The Five People You Meet in Heaven).

All parents damage their children.
It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine
glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers.
Some parents smudge, others crack, a
few shatter childhoods completely into
jagged little pieces, beyond repair.

2 comments:

rashad said...

Mitch Albom is one of my heroes. Great sportswriter and a great writer in general.

etoilee8 said...

This post made my heart feel heavy. Whenever I see stories on the news about people hurting children (the most innocent victims), it makes me weep just a little.