Monday, September 24, 2007

"...the couch shot gave a feeling of isolation."

I watched this little movie last night. I watched 85 percent of it about a year ago, but Netflixxed it a couple of weeks ago to see what happened in the remaining 15. I'm no movie critic, and this is not a critique anyway, so just bear with me.

My boyfriend came in during the last eighth of the movie, and plunked down on the couch to watch it with me. It ended in that classic cinematic way (yes, I'm giving it away): Right Guy gets Right Girl, and Wrong Guy that hurt Right Girl wishes her well, but feels a loss. And somehow they all manage to move on and live. Well, throughout the movie, Mirabelle is romantic-friend-with-benefits to much-older, emotionally detached and unavailable Ray. You’d think, at his age (he had to be at least 50), he’d be more than ready to settle down. Alas, I’m a woman, and I just think that way. But Ray wasn’t ready. Mirabelle asks, "Ray, why don’t you love me?" He hesitates a bit, but then blatantly cops out with something like, "Well, I thought I’d made this all clear from the beginning." I've heard that one before. The cold "I’m this way, take me this way or leave me this way. I’m not gonna change to that way for you." Leaving us with no choice but to either tag along and perhaps wait decades for a change of heart, or get out now with ours slightly bruised, but still in tact.

Well, Mirabelle chose the latter, rationalizing that she could "hurt now or hurt later." Smart girl. Too smart. Further letting me know, it's just a movie.

Anyways, enter Jeremy: A sweet, younger-than-Ray, socially clumsy, "aimless", and lovable all-at-once guy Mirabelle once dated but found hopeless in the art of romance. But Jeremy, knowing he had failed miserably the first time, tries again. He is miles from "the perfect guy," but he opens himself to Mirabelle, and through that, she sees that Jeremy could be "the perfect guy"--FOR HER.

And so at the end of the movie, my boyfriend (who btw, cared more for the French-like couch shot in the movie--because it "gave a feeling of isolation"--than he did the actual story) asks, "So who won, Ray or Jeremy?" I say, "Jeremy" of course, and he says, "Ray. Because she wanted Ray more." I say, "No, she thought she wanted Ray more, until Jeremy showed her what she wanted was what she needed. Ray withheld his heart, and made her second-guess herself, and she felt like getting love from him was this unattainable thing. But with Jeremy, she never had to work to be loved by him, he just did. Because she was worth it without ever having to try to prove her worth. He saw her and accepted her for her...no questions, no hurdles, no hoops."

I’m wordy, I know. But you get it.

On a separate note: Get well Emily!

No comments: