Wednesday, January 2, 2008

going to see annie.

When I was living in DC post-college--the year before I moved to NYC--I was very broke. I mean BROKE. And so I had a pretty dull social life, and my weekend activities were limited to laundry, window-shopping, occasional movies, walks in the park--literally. Art museums were my one cultural joy back then. Every week I'd scour the Washington City Paper for FREE new exhibits and gallery openings. I'd fill my summer weekends with the Smithsonians, and when I could swing 14 bucks, I'd treat myself to the lovely Corcoran.

Since I've been back in DC, I haven't been to any art museums. I've been to a gallery or two, but not one museum in a whole year! I've been too busy with my life otherwise--alas I've been feeling really really culture-starved. So, for what might be my last visit in a long stretch to a DC museum, I'm going to the Corcoran this weekend to honor a pasttime, and the glorious, provocative works of Annie Leibovitz. The museum is showcasing some of her more recent works...so unfortunately, this one below will not be featured.

I think the circumstances surrounding when a photo was taken, is just as, if not more momentous than the model posing for it. And Annie has a way of capturing those situations and stories in her work. Like in this famous photo here of John and Yoko--which to the naked eye exudes John oozing passion for Yoko. But, dig deeper, and there's a narrative of love, sadness, tragedy, and peace.

Taken in December 1980, this Rolling Stone cover photo was taken by Annie on the morning of the day John was murdered. Annie said of the two during the shoot, "What is interesting is she [Yoko] said she'd take her top off and I said, 'Leave everything on' -- not really preconceiving the picture at all. Then he curled up next to her and it was very, very strong. You couldn't help but feel that she was cold and he looked like he was clinging on to her. I think it was amazing to look at the first Polaroid and they were both very excited."

1 comment:

H said...

well maybe she was cold because of all the times he cheated on her?